This initial session is suitable for both English leaders and teachers in KS1 and KS2. We will explore the key principles that can underpin planning and preparation for English teaching in the autumn term.
• Key principles and learning behaviours post-lockdown
• Cognitive psychology: How can we best help pupils to recall previous learning?
• Strategies for effective learning eg dual coding, interleaving, spaced practice, elaboration
In these sessions we will consider practical approaches to the planning and delivery of a catch-up curriculum in English for particular phases (KS1, LKS2, UKS2).
• The HIAS Step Up to Catch Up curriculum guidance
• How to align the revision and catch up coverage with the new year’s curriculum so that it is sequential and progressive
• Establishing starting points for individuals in English
• Closing the most vital gaps in knowledge, skills and understanding
• Effective task design
• Text choices
• Reading and writing examples
Thursday 9th July 4-5pm - Year 1 and 2 teachers
Friday 10th July 1-2pm - Year 3 and 4 teachers
Friday 10th July 2.30-3.30pm - Year 5 and 6 teachers